Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Child rapists can't be executed, Supreme Court rules

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 Wednesday that child rapists cannot be executed, concluding capital punishment is reserved for murderers.
Read the rest of the story here.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Intellectually, I agree that capital punishment should be reserved for murderers - the whole, eye for an eye thing and upholding the Constitutional prohibition against cruel & unusual punishment. However, instinctively, it is hard for me to believe that, short of executing child rapists (or pretty much rapists in general) there is really no way to guarantee that they will never be released into society *at some point*, and a release into society will certainly lead to repeated attacks because I am a firm believer that there is no rehabilitation for just plain *evil* people like that.

I can also understand the argument that having the same consequence of the death penalty for both rape and murder removes any incentive for an attacker to leave a rape victim alive. But, seriously, how many rapists are really thinking about that during an attack? "Well, if I leave her alive she might be able to identify me but, hey, at least I can't get the death penalty for this."

Wow, I can't believe I might actually be in support of an Alioto/Scalia/Thomas/Roberts opinion. The world MUST be coming to an end ...

No comments: